Rose Festival's Starlight Parade: Do You Love It?

The Starlight Parade is one of the MANY Portland weekend events we just posted on Pipeline. Here is the info from the Rose Festival site:

More Than a Century of
Illumination!Starlight Parade, Portland

Did you know that an illuminated parade has been a part of the Portland Rose Festival since its early years? In 1907, “red fire” lit up the night as the fire department paraded along Yamhill street. The following year, more than 20 floats “brilliantly illuminated with electric lights and torches” came together to celebrate “The Spirit of the West” during the night-time parade.

You can of course watch it on KGW as well starting at 8:30 on Saturday. I asked our twitter friends (over 4,000 now!) what they think of the parade and those answers are after the break. Feel free to add your thoughts in the comments…

• PdxPipeline: Twitter Poll: Are you going to the Starlight Parade? Have been before? Watch on TV? Love it? Hate it? Why/Why not? Answers posted tomorrow
  • helloerica: I crashed the Starlight Parade once. That was fun!
  • Writehype: Yes going to Starlight Parade.Last year was money there was Mexican horses dancing for me.Super wicked awesome
  • Brokenninja: I was in it a couple times with the art mentor program P:EAR. This year I think I'll enjoy it from a distance ;)
  • RedCrossPDX: We're going to be IN the Starlight Parade. I hear there'll be a guy wearing a vintage Red Cross jumpsuit…hot.
  • Brokenninja: Does your “team” or whatever have any special plans for that particular event? I'd be happy to participate.*
  • oneredwolf: I have never been to the starlight parade I am excited about going to experience it!
  • therealthing: I was in the parade with my teen leadership group in 2001. A great experience. A BBQ is going to keep me from going this year.
  • Park_Place: Love the starlt best & love going but watching at home. More down to earth than other. love the runners & smaller schl. groups
  • Wisenheimer: “Parades are just people who have nothing to do watching people who have even less to do, but are better organized.” -Leo Allen

From Facebook

• Briana Bononcini Lowe at 3:52pm May 28
    Is it already that time of year again?
  • James Wallace at 4:08pm May 28
    its a lot of fun with kids. I've enjoyed it also, and take chalk to draw in the street with.
  • Sean Harry at 8:13pm May 28
    Yes, we are going and taking the 2 and a half year old. Which means we'll play in the street and draw on the sidewalk and probably come home after the firefighters.

*We have no Pipeline team for the Starlight Parade. It is an interesting idea though…perhaps, 2010

, ,

5 Responses to Rose Festival's Starlight Parade: Do You Love It?

1. meagank May 28, 2009 at 15:38 #

I dont want to blow anybody’s mind, but I will be walking with 105.9 The Brew. Get ready for it. Wheee!

2. Sarah May 28, 2009 at 15:50 #

I was in the Starlight Parade in 1992, had to wear a polyester band uniform and play the flute–it was traumatic. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to look at the parade the same way after that.

3. Carla May 29, 2009 at 01:23 #

I volunteer to ride on the PDX Pipeline Float in the 2010 Starlight Parade :) I can wave vigorously and throw candy and I love to sparkly wear costumes!

4. Carla May 29, 2009 at 01:25 #

Too much wine……love to wear sparkly costumes.

5. Robyn May 30, 2009 at 00:20 #

So where is the best place to watch and how early must you get there?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 75+ Portland Weekend Events & Parties + Free Tickets | May 28-31 « Portland Music, Art, Events, Entertainment, Sustainability | PDX PIPELINE - May 29, 2009

[...] Rose Festival’s Starlight Parade: Do You Love It? [...]