More Than a Century of
Did you know that an illuminated parade has been a part of the Portland Rose Festival since its early years? In 1907, “red fire” lit up the night as the fire department paraded along Yamhill street. The following year, more than 20 floats “brilliantly illuminated with electric lights and torches” came together to celebrate “The Spirit of the West” during the night-time parade.
You can of course watch it on KGW as well starting at 8:30 on Saturday. I asked our twitter friends (over 4,000 now!) what they think of the parade and those answers are after the break. Feel free to add your thoughts in the comments…
- PdxPipeline: Twitter Poll: Are you going to the Starlight Parade? Have been before? Watch on TV? Love it? Hate it? Why/Why not? Answers posted tomorrow
- helloerica: I crashed the Starlight Parade once. That was fun!
- Writehype: Yes going to Starlight Parade.Last year was money there was Mexican horses dancing for me.Super wicked awesome
- Brokenninja: I was in it a couple times with the art mentor program P:EAR. This year I think I'll enjoy it from a distance ;)
- RedCrossPDX: We're going to be IN the Starlight Parade. I hear there'll be a guy wearing a vintage Red Cross jumpsuit…hot.
- Brokenninja: Does your “team” or whatever have any special plans for that particular event? I'd be happy to participate.*
- oneredwolf: I have never been to the starlight parade I am excited about going to experience it!
- therealthing: I was in the parade with my teen leadership group in 2001. A great experience. A BBQ is going to keep me from going this year.
- Park_Place: Love the starlt best & love going but watching at home. More down to earth than other. love the runners & smaller schl. groups
- Wisenheimer: “Parades are just people who have nothing to do watching people who have even less to do, but are better organized.” -Leo Allen
- Sean Harry at 8:13pm May 28
Yes, we are going and taking the 2 and a half year old. Which means we'll play in the street and draw on the sidewalk and probably come home after the firefighters.
*We have no Pipeline team for the Starlight Parade. It is an interesting idea though…perhaps, 2010