Portland Theater: Day of The Dead Celebration @ Miracle Theater + Win Tickets

This is a very popular show at Miracle Theater and we have been able to round up three pairs of tickets for Saturday night's 8PM showing. You can dress up and go see a good show before you go our and party. To win, just comment on this post on why you'd like to attend. We will draw a winner on Friday at noon.

Reminder: We give out free tickets every week to our Portland Facebook Group including to many of the top music and art venues in Portland. Join it if you like free stuff.

Related posts and events from PDX Pipeline:

From Miracle theater:

Day of the Dead @ Miracle TheaterCANTA Y NO LLORES — Sing and Don't Cry

Miracle Theatre Group's original, bilingual celebration of the Day of the Dead

From Oct. 30 through Nov. 15, 2009, Miracle Theatre Group is pleased to present CANTA Y NO LLORES (Sing and Don't Cry), an original, bilingual celebration of the Day of the Dead created by Martín Milagro, directed by Olga Sanchez and sponsored by El Hispanic News.

Every fall, the dead are commemorated in a lively show of dance, music and theatre in Portland's longest-running Day of the Dead celebration. This year, los muertos return singing old-time tunes that harken back to another era when times were tough and tradition was one of the few things folks could call their own. In the middle of the Great Depression, at a camp near where WPA workers are constructing Oregon's Timberline Lodge, five strangers arrive from different parts of the country in search of work and a place to call home. Even as they must shed one way of life for another, and though they have lost everything they hold dear, optimism lives on. Funny and irreverent, Canta y no llores (Sing and Don't Cry) reminds us all that the only thing to fear — in life or death — is fear itself.

Canta y no llores plays Oct. 30-Nov. 15, 2009 at the Milagro Theatre (525 SE Stark St., Portland). Performances are Thursdays at 7:30 p.m.; Fridays and Saturdays at 8:00 p.m.; and Sundays at 2:00 p.m. Tickets are $20-$22 ($16 for students/seniors) from 503-236-7253, www.milagro.org or the PDX Ticket Network community box office at the Hollywood Theatre 1-9 p.m. daily.

The opening night performance on Friday, Oct. 30 includes a complimentary post-play reception catered by La Bamba restaurant. Prior to the Sunday matinee on Nov. 1, there will be a free reading of original stories and poetry from Los Porteños writers group beginning at 12 noon; following the matinee on Nov. 1, there will be a free post-play discussion with director and cast.

, , ,

9 Responses to Portland Theater: Day of The Dead Celebration @ Miracle Theater + Win Tickets

1. Bridget Pilloud October 28, 2009 at 14:28 #

This sounds amazing.
    I have a day of the dead sculpture in my living room of an angel skeleton holding a huge strawberry and smiling.

It’s creepy and funny and real. I think about it a lot. Why a skeleton angel? Why a strawberry?

The Day of the Dead is like that. Creepy, funny, real. So, I’d like to go to this show and celebrate this creepy, funny, real deep and not deep life we’re living!

2. Sum October 28, 2009 at 17:30 #

My father died a few years ago on the Day of the Dead, and after visiting Central America this summer and learning about their tradition of embracing and celebrating death, I have been looking around for some kind of celebration that would allow me to celebrate his life rather than merely grieve over his death..

3. Lydia October 28, 2009 at 20:54 #

Quiero ir porque soy bilingue y me encanta el dia de los muertos. Por favor, dame los boletos para que yo puedo disfrutar un noche especial en mi nuevo ciudad, Portland.

I want to go because I’m bilingual and I love the Day of the Dead. Please, give me the tickets so that I can enjoy a special night in my new city, Portland.

4. Daniel October 29, 2009 at 15:07 #

I like the art of the various Day of the Dead installations I’ve seen. This celebration would be a cool way to spend the day, especially if the tickets were on my birthday, Nov 8.

5. Val October 29, 2009 at 15:17 #

Hi! My partner and I would LOVE those tickets! He is from Peru and obviously his first language is Spanish. It would be a little treat for him attend a theatrical production in his native tongue. Pero en Peru ellos dijeron “El Dia De Los Muertos Y todo Los Santos”. But in Peru they say “the day of the dead and all the saints.”

Thanks!

6. Heather October 29, 2009 at 16:56 #

I’d like to take my son to this cause he loves anything creepy and we like to show him other culture’s traditions. I would love tickets!!

7. Brenda October 29, 2009 at 22:48 #

What better way to kick off a vacation to Mexico than going to this play 2 days before? We’d love to attend. Always up for new adventures and learning about the culture of others.

8. melissa vera-mccoy October 14, 2013 at 13:53 #

My family roots have always celebrated dia de los muertos and I work in a school with Latino students and families. We are making day of the dead altars and sugar skulls and this would be a great event to attend. My husband and I are recently married and this would be a great way for him to experience dia de los muertos! Thank you!

9. Kevin October 28, 2009 at 15:27 #

My girlfriend and I are learning Spanish and have deep appreciation for the Spanish culture, so attending this event would be very special for us. The play sounds very intriguing and fun!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Portland Halloween Parties, Events, Costumes, Contests, Pictures, etc « Portland Music, Art, Events, Entertainment, Sustainability | PDX PIPELINE - October 28, 2009

[...] Portland Theater: Day of The Dead Celebration @ Miracle Theater + Win Tickets [...]