Portland Santacon is THIS Saturday | December 19

North Portland Anticon on Trimet
Santacon -North Portland Anticon on Trimet
December 5, 2009
Photo by Jason Keyes

The photo above is from a couple weeks back for the North Portland Anticon. The official Santacon is this Saturday. It is downtown, but meeting times and places are hidden until Saturday and even then, they of course are going to try and fool people.

This is what was sent to us:

• Santacon is Dec 19, and NOT at Skidmore
    [[[ not public ]]] meeting point will be at the new park by Fox Tower 10. The one they tore down a building to make. People who go to Skidmore will be abandoned and dodged most of the day.
  • Santacon may release the route map
    [[[ not public ]]] If they do, they will also release at least five versions of a fake map
  • The @santaconpdx twitter account is legit. They plan to screw with people up to the event, but don't plan to screw with people during the event. So subscribe to it for real-time Santa movements.

Related Posts from PDX Pipeline:

13 Responses to Portland Santacon is THIS Saturday | December 19

1. Mars December 15, 2009 at 15:49 #

The starting point is at [redacted] and [blackout].

• Julian Chadwick December 16, 2009 at 04:37 #

Yes & yes

2. Jenny December 15, 2009 at 18:24 #

These guys fuck with us every year, I for one have learned my lesson. I had a great time at the Anticon without all their elitist BS, I hope they rot in the cold and rain, wherever they’re *really* starting.

Who wouldn’t be surprised if it actually IS in Hillsboro this year?

• Julian Chadwick December 16, 2009 at 04:39 #

It will never be in Hillsboro, but yeah…it is interesting the way the info is leaked out. I have a feeling that there will be no real “Santacon” in the next years b/c people will have no way of knowing what is real Santacon.

• caco 249 December 16, 2009 at 21:26 #

the people who run santacon, the one that stays with the tradition of santacon of years past, who do the prep work and damage control, will always have a way of knowing what real santacon is.

3. Janternet December 15, 2009 at 21:45 #

Can someone explain why they go to great lengths to make it difficult for people to participate?

• Julian Chadwick December 16, 2009 at 04:50 #

Apparently, b/c it is not a bar crawl–I never thought it was, but some people did and RUINED it for the real Santaconners and now their vengeance is obscurity and misdirection.

I do understand not wanting a good time ruined by morons…but…well, I actually don’t care. I will be pub crawling b/c it is Saturday anyway regardless of dated events.

OK, I lie. I just will be in a bar drinking and playing dominoes (hopefully if challenged).

• Janternet December 16, 2009 at 12:13 #

Yeah it is annoying to the point that I don’t think I want to participate in whatever it is anymore. Which I guess means mission accomplished for them, sounds like they don’t want anybody there.

• s. santa December 16, 2009 at 09:20 #

because if you don’t know, now you know.

• caco 249 December 16, 2009 at 21:31 #

it’s hardly “great lengths.” the information is available pretty readily; the “difficulty” is to filter out the base level of idiots who are willing spend $2.99 for a santa hat as a cover charge to act like their regular self, with no respect for the event, the coordinators, or the venues that allow santas to come in. this information (“why”) is also pretty readily available on the internets.

if it’s “annoying,” stick to one of the numerous “santa pub crawls” that requires no effort, just $2.99 and a willingness to drink in public with no destination, activities, or sense of community. problem solved.

4. Santa December 15, 2009 at 23:20 #

We make it difficult to participate because you want this to be a bar crawl and it is not a bar crawl, that is what anticon is, so go away. Bah! Humbug!

-Santa

• Julian Chadwick December 16, 2009 at 04:42 #

Can you please explain what is then expected and wanted at Santacon? This might sound foolish to you, but …

We are just trying to inform people on an event that they might enjoy, but I feel that we are hamstrung by how/why they should enjoy it.

• caco 249 December 16, 2009 at 21:32 #

see above. this information is pretty easy to find. the nature of why you’re asking (“informing people of an event they might enjoy”) is the antithesis of santacon. it either appeals to you or it doesn’t, it’s not the answer to Need Something To Do This Weekend?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Portland AntiCon 2009 - find in portland - December 26, 2009

[...] the next in North Portland. “Official” Santacon is, apparently, not pub-crawl focused. What the focus is, I could not tell you. The creators seem to want to make it difficult to know what it is or to participate. So we opted [...]