Portland Timbers Tuesday: Awards, Drafts And Demands

By Ben Golliver

Alex Nimo

Photo by Bruce Eaton

After the bright lights and excitement of last week's announcement of four player signings, the Portland Timbers offseason has slowed down a bit, at least for the time being. Nevertheless there is some award talk, a date to circle on your calendar and some shocking demands from a local player worth taking a look at this week.

First things first: The USSF Division 2 handed out its "Best XI", soccer's version of an end-of-the-season all-league team. Two Timbers made the list. Midfielder Ryan Pore, who led Portland in scoring on the season, was the only 2010 Timber so honored. But Attacker Eddie Johnson, who played for the Austin Aztex in 2010 and was signed to play for the Timbers in the MLS next season, also made the cut. It's often said that you build a quality soccer team from the back. The Timbers appear to be taking a different approach, locking down two productive attacking pieces early, which could make for an exciting season next year.

The next major date on the Timbers calendar is Nov. 24, when the club will have first pick in this year's Major League Soccer expansion draft. An expansion draft forces each current MLS club to determine which of its players are essential and which are non-essential. Each team can protect 11 of its players, the rest are open for selection by both the Timbers and the Vancouver Whitecaps, who are also joining the MLS as an expansion team next year. While an expansion draft won't net you any stars, it's an important way to build out your roster depth. The draft is set to go 10 rounds, so the team will add 10 new players after the night is over.

Finally, the most shocking news of the week came when Timbers winger, and Benson high alum, Alex Nimo went all Rudy Fernandez in an interview with The Oregonian's Geoffrey C. Arnold, declaring that playing for his hometown Portland Timbers is the sole path to his personal happiness next season. “Portland is the only MLS team I want to play with. I can't really play with another team in MLS,” Nimo told The Oregonian. “I'm young and I'd rather stay in Portland and play. This is where I'm from and I'd enjoy my career. If I go play in another city, I won't want to play and I'd quit.” If it sounds like Nimo is griping, that's because it's his only real recourse. Much like Fernandez, his only hope is for the organization that holds his rights, Real Salt Lake, to agree to trade him to Portland. As Arnold writes, a trade that benefits both sides isn't necessarily easy to achieve.

————-Related Portland Timbers Tuesday Posts——-

———-Ben Golliver

Ben Golliver is a freelance writer, native Oregonian and avid follower of the Timbers.  He edits Blazersedge, co-hosts The Dontonio Wingcast and regularly contributes to SB Nation. Follow him onTwitter.

, , ,

13 Responses to Portland Timbers Tuesday: Awards, Drafts And Demands

1. Jason B October 26, 2010 at 12:44 #

Wow, I’m the first to post about this?? That just proves that there are no real soccor fans out there. I am not a Timbers fan. Never have and never will be. I’ve been to a few games and its so boring. The fans are rude unless you are a die hard like them. Second they not only left portland but they left twice. Both times they came back tail between their legs saying Portland is the only city for them. The Beavers have been in Portland for over 100 years! Leave it up to the timbers to be greedy and not share the field or the stadium. Both the owners and the Timbers only want profits not Perserving history (Beavers and PGE Park). I am hoping to expand the boycott I have (over 1,000 so far) over the Timbers until the Beavers are in thier rightful home of Portland. As for Ben Golliver, he should really report not only the good but also tell people all the bad they came out of this. Only this way can people make a fair judgement of this team.

• Julian Chadwick October 26, 2010 at 14:41 #

As the owner/founder of Pipeline, I appreciate your comments, but that is not what Ben’s writing is here for.

Ben’s role here at Pipeline is to give updates and information on the Timbers. It is not to report of the drama of Beavers vs Timbers, etc.

There are places to go for that: Oregonian, Canzano, Dwight Jaynes, etc.

Pipeline is an informative site for people looking to find out what they want to do in this city and get background on events and sports. It’s a not a political site and we are not here to tell people why they shouldn’t support things or why they shouldn’t go out.

Isn’t there enough of those kinds of places on the nets?

• rsw October 26, 2010 at 18:27 #

STFU dumbass.

• Julian Chadwick October 26, 2010 at 20:19 #

RSW,

I haven’t really had to moderate much here on Pipeline as we don’t have a controversial site really. It’s more of have a great time in Portland site. I don’t mind opinions/a discussion about the issues arising here in the comments, but this one has no value is only meant to be rude.

Please refrain from more comments like this or they will simply be deleted.

2. clint kuper October 26, 2010 at 13:26 #

where was the “beavers army” when they were threatened? where were all the fans to go to the games when they needed support?

boring? you’re right. watching 5 seconds of action every 10 minutes is amazing end to end action. your steroid enhanced superstars of yesteryear are losing fans and interest.

your 1000 person boycott is a drop in the bucket. we will fill the stadium. end of story.

the mls timbers are here to stay. get used to it.

yours truly…

a real soccer fan

3. Jason B October 26, 2010 at 13:47 #

Yesteryear huh? I’m sorry. Baseball has and always will be americas Past time. As for your so called sport, its a joke! You and your fans don’t give a sh$%t about history or pride for your city. Tell me this how come the Timbers left the city not once but twice. Yet the Beavers have been in this city for over 100 years? You just proved my point on how Timbers fans are rude. As for your mascot Timber Jim, What kind of message is he sending our kids. Hey kids its O.K. to run around with dangerous objects as long as its a chainsaw. As for our Mascot, he encourages kids to have fun. So get off your soap box and show some respect.

• clint kuper October 26, 2010 at 14:30 #

what kind of message is timber jim sending? a message of “spread the love” through community service such as donations to habitat for humanity.

what kind of message are today’s baseball players sending to kids?shooting up steriods is aok as long as you’re hitting home runs.

and for the record…just because someone disagrees with you doesn’t make them rude. you busted out the s-word. not me.

4. Christian October 26, 2010 at 14:40 #

I never really liked Alex Nimo’s play; I get that he’s a small, agile player but whenever he was on the wing, he would constantly be in the middle of the pitch. I don’t like that. You play wing to stretch out your opponent and to go on runs up and down the flanks. He was doing none of this.

Jason B. – I get your frustrations. But the deed has been done. The Beavers are out, the MLS is here in Portland.

And the Timber Jim argument is absolutely hysterical. You can’t be serious… can you?

5. S3k October 26, 2010 at 14:46 #

Jason: The Beavers have left town multiple times before.

• DemonJuice October 26, 2010 at 15:03 #

Shhh!! You’ll ruin his whole argument. As if Jason’s ignorance wasn’t on full display already.

When did this become O Live?

6. glenn October 26, 2010 at 15:08 #

i love baseball and soccer, but i hate hypocrites (i’m looking at you, jason b). for someone that emphasizes a lot about knowing your history, you sure do seem to bring up the fact that the timbers left the city a lot. the facts are this: the team never left, the leagues didn’t succeed. now look at the beavers. they actually LEFT the city a few times.

a business owner would be a complete idiot to hang onto a business that wasn’t making him money. try to convince a restaurant owner to stay open without any patrons because they represent americana and have become an institution in your eyes.

as far as pride for the city, here’s a quiz: name the organization that has donated hundreds and thousands of dollars and man-hours helping youth sports leagues, public park renovations, fundraisers for autism, planting trees, donating equipment and coaching time to local school sports, and college scholarship funds? timbers army, who just so happen to be “rude” soccer fans.

no one’s forcing you to go to timbers games. it’s just sad that no one forced people to go to the beavers baseball games. it probably could have saved them.

7. Jason B October 26, 2010 at 19:47 #

When did I become Public enemy number #1? I was only tring to make a point. Everybody do their research next time. As for this arguement beavers vs Timbers, I will respect Julian Chadwick’s wishes and curb my comments. I urge people to do the same here. If you want to continue this look me up on Facebook.

• Julian Chadwick October 26, 2010 at 20:30 #

You are welcome to comment here about your opinions on the Timbers. I’m just commenting on your point about what Ben should write about. As the Chief Editor, that is not the direction we have decided to take.

He’d likely tell you himself except he’s working the Blazers opening today/tonight for BlazersEdge.

I don’t think your comments are out of bounds or I would let you know and/or delete them. I’m just telling you what kind of timbers coverage we will have here and it is not about the political issues you mentioned above. It is to be informative for people wondering what is happening in the off-season and keep up.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Portland Timbers Tuesday: Scouting, Sub-Letting and Rival Armies « Portland Events: Music, Art, Entertainment, Sustainability | PDXPIPELINE.com - November 9, 2010

[...] Timbers Tuesday: Awards, Drafts And Demands [...]

2. Portland Timbers Tuesday: Scot Thompson Retires « Portland Events: Music, Art, Entertainment, Sustainability | PDXPIPELINE.com - November 16, 2010

[...] Timbers Tuesday: Awards, Drafts And Demands [...]

3. Portland Timbers Tuesday: Buzzing About Trade Talk & Vuvuzelas « Portland Events: Music, Art, Entertainment, Sustainability | PDXPIPELINE.com - November 23, 2010

[...] Timbers Tuesday: Awards, Drafts And Demands [...]