Win Tickets: Black Thought Of The Roots Thursday Night @ Refuge PDX

Black Thought for only $10 is a pretty great deal, but you can also win a pair of tickets from us here at Pipeline. To win, comment on this post why you would like to attend. Winner drawn and emailed on Thursday at 3PM.

From our sponsors at Refuge PDX:
Indamix Records and Vtech present…

Black Thought of The Roots

January 27th, 2011.
9:30pm. $10. 21+
Refuge (116 SE Yamhill)
www.refugepdx.com

Advanced tickets available through brownpapertickets.com

Black Thought: Tariq Trotter (born on October 3, 1973), better known as Black Thought, is an American hip-hop artist who is the lead MC of the Philadelphia-based hip hop group The Roots. Black Thought, who co-founded The Roots with drummer Questlove (Ahmir Thompson), is widely lauded for his complex and politically aware lyrical content, and his sharply honed live performances.

The Roots released their debut album Organix in 1993 and followed up with Do You Want More?!!!??! in 1995. Recorded without any sampling, the album was huge among alternative music fans and true listeners of hip hop. Around the release of the album, the Roots performed at the Lollapalooza alternative music festival and Montreux Jazz Festival. Illadelph Halflife, the band's 1996 album, became its first album to chart within the top 40 spots on the Billboard 200 because of the successful single “What They Do”. Things Fall Apart followed in 1999, the year the band played at the Woodstock 99 concert and was considered by many to be some of the best work in the genre of hip hop.

In 2000, the Roots won the Grammy Award for Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group for “You Got Me”, with guest performances by Erykah Badu and Eve. The Roots' album Things Fall Apart was nominated for the Best Rap Album award and during the same year they played for Jay-Z's acoustic concert for the television program MTV Unplugged. Succeeding albums have been Phrenology (2002), The Tipping Point (2004), Game Theory (2006), Rising Down (2008), and How I Got Over (2010). For those that know nothing about hip hop and real music, you might recognize Black Thought as the mc from the band on the Jimmy Fallon show. If that is the only way that you know of The Roots than you are an idiot.

, , , ,

18 Responses to Win Tickets: Black Thought Of The Roots Thursday Night @ Refuge PDX

1. Kyle January 25, 2011 at 16:11 #

Hey I need these tickets because I can’t convince my girlfriend to spend money on this, but she would go for free and I could convert her to the ways of the Roots and to funk!

2. Emily January 25, 2011 at 16:13 #

I would like to attend on Thursday because everyone should dance their ass off at least once a week! What better music to dance to?!

3. naj January 25, 2011 at 16:45 #

I need it because I am UNEMPLOYED mannnnn and I love the Roots. Obvious.

4. shahnnen knox January 25, 2011 at 16:52 #

I saw ?uestlove in NY for NYE several years ago, and would love to add another member to the dossier.

5. Karin January 25, 2011 at 16:59 #

I want to go to this show because The Roots were my first introduction into hiphop music – what made me fall in love with it. And I think it would be freakin amazing to see Black Thought live!!! YESSS!!! :)

I might jump up and down with excitement. Very good possibility.

6. Fernando January 25, 2011 at 17:14 #

1. I don’t have a racist girlfriend, kidding.
    2. Refuge is a dope spot.
    3. I’ve been a head since back in the day.
    4. I am willing to dance with Emily or Karen.

7. Paul Smith January 25, 2011 at 17:33 #

We are new to Portland, live near there, and keep hearing about shows there after they’ve happened, or have plans. I’ve been a fan of the Roots since the mid 90s, and had lost track of them. Would be great to catch up, and check out this venue I keep hearing about. And show my wife that yes, I’ve got the magic mojo ticket winning power, oooooh :)

8. Timoteo January 25, 2011 at 19:09 #

“If that is the only way that you know of The Roots than you are an idiot.”

It’s “then” not “than.”

Now give me those fucking tickets.

9. Charlotte Delgado January 25, 2011 at 20:22 #

I” love to see Black Thoughts of Roots. A Grammy Award winning artist at Portland Refuge would be a really great show.
    Thanks PDX Pipeline
    Char

10. Raumene Rahatzad January 26, 2011 at 17:56 #

I’m a college readiness advocate at Roosevelt High School and a Hip Hop Culture class instructor at Open Meadow Alternative High School. I’m constantly looking for inspiration and ideas to incorporate into the classroom, and it would be great to see Black Thought live! love and blessings…

11. Shasta January 26, 2011 at 18:42 #

Yessss! We want to go to this show, but we’re broke. Hook it up!!

12. Alfred Morales January 26, 2011 at 22:25 #

I deserve the tickets because I shall proceeeeed and continue, to rock the mic along other fellow Roots fans at the show Thursday night.

13. zee January 27, 2011 at 13:47 #

I love the roots so I can’t wait to see Black Thought at Refuge tonight.
    Thanks

14. Pete Stewart January 27, 2011 at 13:57 #

I need inspiration and this show seems to have every bit of that kind of creativity. Please let me have it and I will never ask you again, unless you have tickets to wu tang down the road!

15. Collin Bailey January 27, 2011 at 15:38 #

Because I just found out about this seeming to be awesome website (haven’t had the chance to truly appreciate it yet). Coincidentally, the first thing I see on the website is Black Thought (Roots are #3 on my must see live list) and I am submitting this 39 minutes too late! have any extras?

16. Sarah January 27, 2011 at 15:48 #

Rare opportunity to see one of the most talented and revolutionary artists of our generation! This would be really incredible to attend. Thank you!

17. astro January 27, 2011 at 16:30 #

You should give ME the tix BECAUSE; I’ll bring the effin ZEBRA ARMY; maybe you don’t know about them— or have never SEEN my FOUR SPANDEX ZEBRA UNITARDS but I can guarantee; we’ll rock the shit out of steaz. you will be entertained.

ASTRO

18. astro January 27, 2011 at 16:46 #

Not to mention…. I could also hit TWO birds with one stone… I got a friend who said he’d wear one…. and this is a perfect opportunity to have him put his money where his mouth is….

Oh, AND… If i didn’t already say— It’d be great to see the show.