Red Lion Hotel on the River
909 N Hayden Island Drive, Portland, OR, 97217, USA
Tel: 503-283-4466 | Tickets/More info: www.rivercitybluegrass.com
The popular RiverCity Music Festival, born the RiverCity Bluegrass Festival, has evolved, matured - and gotten even better. The festival, scheduled Jan. 6 - 8, 2012, at The Red Lion at Jantzen Beach, offers one of the most exciting and eclectic collection of musicians ever to perform in a single Portland weekend.
Now in its seventh year, the RiverCity Music Festival has developed into an eagerly anticipated weekend filled with national bands of so many genres that if you were to give it a theme, it would probably be just exceptionally good live music.
In addition to acclaimed bluegrass performers (The Boxcars, Steep Canyon Rangers, young prodigy Sierra Hull and Hwy. 111, Jim Lauderdale, The Peter Rowan Band), the festival has musicians from the top of other musical genres.
This year's festival features:
- 14 national acts and many regional performers
- Two large stages: The Grand Ballroom seating 1,600 and the Mt. St. Helens Room seating 600.
- Performances and dances in the bar, with seating for 250
- Two full-service restaurants
- Plenty of room for jamming, listening, visiting - and 320 rooms so visitors can sneak off for a nap between shows
In addition, the festival offers
- The Chick Rose School of Bluegrass, a free one day program for 7 to 17 year olds
- A Friday night dance
- A Saturday night square dance with favorite caller Bill Martin
- Workshops taught by the masters, including Tommy Emmanuel
- Instrument and craft vendors
A full list of artists include these touring acts:
- The Travelin' McCourys
- Dale Watson
- Joy Kills Sorrow
- The Boxcars
- Tommy Emmanuel
- Geoff Muldaur and The Texas Sheiks featuring Jim Kweskin
- Jesse Winchester
- Peter Rowan Band
- Hot Club of Cowtown
- Sierra Hull and Hwy. 111
- Steep Canyon Rangers
- David Lindley
- Dan Crary & Thunderation
- Jim Lauderdale
Regional bands include:
- Jackstraw (electric)
- Caleb Klauder's Country Band
- Midnight Serenade
- Northern Departure
- The Bluegrass Regulators
For reservation information, schedules and more, visit www.rivercitybluegrass.com.