We are giving away a pair of tickets to see Danny and the Deep Blue Sea at Action/Adventure Theatre on Friday, March 9, 2012. To win, comment on this post why you’d like to attend. Winner will be drawn and emailed Friday, March 9.

FREE PORTLAND EVENTS: We give out 100s of $$$ in free tickets every week including to many of the top events venues in Portland. Join our email list if you like free stuff
------------

From our sponsors at Action/Adventure Theatre:
Danny and The Deep Blue SeaDanny and The Deep Blue Sea
Friday, March 2 – Saturday, March 24 | Thursday – Sunday @ 8 p.m.
Tickets are $15, Thursdays are Pay What You Will
Purchase Tickets at Ticket Turtle

Action/Adventure Theatre
1050 SE Clinton St | More Info: actionadventure.org

WW Review here: wweek.com/danny-and-the-deep-blue-sea.html

About the play:
A divey bar in the Bronx. Danny at one table. Roberta at another. “Me, I’m twenty-nine and I cant stay the way I am for too fucking long” says Danny. And Roberta feels the same. Driven to the edge of endurance by alienation and self-loathing, these lonely strangers are ready to try anything to get out of their own heads. Described by the LA Times as “a foul-mouthed romantic fairy-tale with bloody knuckles,” Shanley’s masterpiece gives us a ringside view of the thoroughly damaged duo as they grapple and grope their way through one transformative night.

Action/Adventure is extremely happy to be trying on a new hat this spring and producing its first published play from an established playwright. While original, ensemble-driven comedy (such as serial hits Fall of The House and Captured by Aliens) has always been the company's bread & butter, Action/Adventure is expanding its artistic aspirations this spring to the producing of scripted works. This well-known, but rarely produced piece, John Patrick's Shanley's Apache Dance, Danny and the Deep Blue Sea, is the first exciting step in that evolution.

, , , , , , , , ,

22 Responses to Win Tickets ($30): Danny and The Deep Blue Sea @ Action/Adventure Theatre | Foul-Mouthed, Romantic Fairy Tale

1. Joe Pierce March 6, 2012 at 13:49 #

I’d definitely like to go because, well frankly aside from an “Anne of Green Gables” field trip when I was too young to remember I’ve never seen a real live play, and this sounds like it is right down my alley.

2. M Siosal March 6, 2012 at 13:51 #

This sounds fucking awesome!

3. ELIZABETH MAKHOBEY March 6, 2012 at 13:53 #

LIKE THESE PEOPLE WOULD LOVE TO TRY NEW NEW THINGS OUT OF OUR ORDINARY LIVES. THIS WOULD BE A GREAT WIN FOR MY HUBBY AND I TO SEE SOMETHING NEW.

4. Sarah March 6, 2012 at 14:16 #

looks incredible, I’d love to go

5. Kris March 6, 2012 at 20:20 #

I can identify with alienation and self-loathing. I would be interested to see how these characters cope and develop.

6. jjwoosh March 7, 2012 at 12:56 #

So excited that this rolled off my tongue…

Once upon a F***in time,
    in a screwed up city up northwest way…
    There sat an a*****le that wanted to see a play.
    Danny and the Deep Blue Sea,
    Girl won’t you see this sh** with me,
    She said” this b**ch is broke,”
    No worry girl you can trust this folk
    I got tickets from the pipeline
    Tears to wipe, don’t gripe or wine

7. Anthony March 7, 2012 at 12:57 #

My partner performed in this play once, and it would be a great surprise for him to see it from the other side of the stage.

8. Lisa March 7, 2012 at 17:09 #

This looks so weird and neat!

9. Lawrence March 8, 2012 at 07:48 #

Because Shanley’s stage plays, especially his early works, need to be experienced live—not read or viewed on a screen. It’s commendable someone is still putting on his shows.

10. Noah D March 8, 2012 at 11:14 #

Hey commenters! This is Noah from Action/Adventure Theatre. Super excited to see that you all want to come to the play. It is really fantastic and we’re really proud of it. Here’s our latest review: http://wweek.com/portland/event-94471-danny-and-the-deep-blue-sea.html

Please note, Thursdays are pay what-you-will night throughout the run and tickets are just $15 for other nights. A steal of a deal to see the great talent we’ve got onstage.

PDXPipleLine- if this comment get drawn as the winner please redraw. I’ve already seen the show. And loved it!

11. ChixStix March 8, 2012 at 13:53 #

It’s always fun to see how productions change as they expand their genre. The story sounds intriguing and like something I find interesting – self evaluation an the struggle to become someone different and hopefully better.

12. Hayley March 8, 2012 at 15:41 #

Oh hell yes!! I’d love to see this. (**Spirit fingers to my computer screen**)

13. Matt Folsom March 8, 2012 at 17:28 #

I have a friend in from Salt Lake City, and I need something arty to prove how great PDX is!

14. Dnae March 8, 2012 at 19:03 #

I loved Fall of the House, and could use some twisted romance in my life these days!

15. April March 8, 2012 at 19:45 #

I would love to take my husband to this, for a great night out.

16. Toby March 8, 2012 at 20:48 #

Would like to try something new and get out of the house this weekend.

17. Brooke March 8, 2012 at 22:43 #

Sounds fascinating, and I haven;t been to a play in forever. Don’t have a plan yet for date night this week, this could be perfect!

18. eaglegrl March 8, 2012 at 23:09 #

Love the theatre…would love to see this production! Thank you!

19. Amie March 8, 2012 at 23:44 #

I would love to be able to splurge on a date night, but am tragically unemployed. This would be a dream!

20. Kirk March 9, 2012 at 12:19 #

This show is so explosive and intimate. I embodied Danny- several years ago in a production of this show. It was one of the most provocative and powerful projects that I have ever worked on. I’m a student now- living on loans- with very little extra money to spend on the magic of theater. I would LOVE to see someone else’s artistic expression of the relationship between Roberta and Danny.

21. colin.w. March 12, 2012 at 23:20 #

how about this show for a first date?

22. Amy March 13, 2012 at 23:04 #

I am interested in theater as a tool for community healing. This sounds like that kind of show- raw emotions and poignant moments. I’d love to see the show.