We are giving away two pairs of tickets to attend Singlehandedly! New Works Solo Festival on Friday, May 4 and Saturday, May 5, 2012 at Portland Story Theater. To win, comment on this post why you’d like to attend and which night. Winners will be drawn and emailed Friday, May 4 at noon.

WIN PORTLAND: We give out 100s of $$$ in free tickets every week including to many of the top events in Portland. Join our email list if you like free stuff

---------------

From our sponsors at Portland Story Theater:
Singlehandedly @ Portland Story TheaterSinglehandedly! New Works Solo Festival
Fridays and Saturdays, May 4 - May 11
Doors 7 p.m. Shows 8 p.m. | $15 Advance | $20 Door| 18+

Portland Story Theater @ Hipbone Studio
1847 E Burnside (NE 18th & E Burnside)
More Info: portlandstorytheater.com

Portland Story Theater's fourth-annual New Works Solo Festival, Singlehandedly, continues this weekend. Real. True. Stories. It’s a rare opportunity, in this over-produced landscape we live in, to sit in a small theater and listen to a story float between you and the person on stage. This is the only festival in the country that delivers feature-length personal stories. World Premieres. Every night is different! You only get to hear these stories once, so don't miss out.

Friday, May 4
Eric Stern shares the story of the man who taught him about opera, and drinking; the man who trained his voice and shaped his artistic life in Plaid Shirt Maestro. Eric founded Vagabond Opera in 2002.

Penny Walter paints a picture of her early idyllic childhood, and how it has prepared her for the most demanding performance of her life in Roots and Wings. Penny is celebrating her 10th anniversary as a professional puppeteer and storyteller.

Saturday, May 5
Lynne Duddy tells the story of growing up in N-NE Portland in the 60s and 70s as the world changed around her on both the macro and the micro level in Wabi-Sabi White Girl. Lynne is the co-founder of Portland Story Theater.

Michele Carlo takes you on a journey from her New York experience, growing up Puerto Rican, to semi-quasi sorta’ kinda’ fair-to-middling respectable success as a writer and a performer. This is the world premiere solo show of her book and signed copies of Fish Out Of Agua will be available for $15 at the show.

Singlehandedly is funded in part by a generous project grant from the Regional Arts and Culture Council. Guarantee your seats by buying your tickets online. Check out the entire lineup of artists on the festival page.

, , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to Win Tickets ($80): Singlehandedly New Works Solo Festival @ Portland Story Theater | Live Personal Storytelling

1. Nikki April 30, 2012 at 11:35 #

Would love to hear some great stories and make some connections with my own story. Interested in hearing about the Puerto Rican, since I’m also from East Coast and Puerto Rican. That’s rare here!

2. Borden Beck April 30, 2012 at 12:38 #

I love Lynn Duddy’s tales of life and love, and for a fellow Portlander, I look forward to hearing her personal experience growing up in fair pdx. I’m pretty sure we had dramatically different stories of youth and that hers are far more interesting than mine.

3. Kari April 30, 2012 at 12:48 #

I’ve seen both these performers in their other artistic endeavors, and would love to witness the power of story through them!

4. panda April 30, 2012 at 16:39 #

everyone has their story, it took 15 years to land in pdx, in the household better known as 3 queers and a mexican. truth is stranger than fiction.

5. veronika April 30, 2012 at 20:02 #

i have always loved reading, listening and telling stories.
    the first time i went by myself, then i took my brother, then my friend stef, then karen. the next time when nobody was available i just came alone again.
    i think it is fabulous that you created such a place.

6. Alison May 1, 2012 at 05:43 #

Story telling is the most intimate form of theater and the most rewarding. The sharing process creates the strongest memories for me that last long after the show ends. There is a freshness and uniqueness that isn’t matched in any other artistic performance I’ve ever attended. I am delighted that Portland Story Theater provides these amazing shows. Thanks!

7. Megan May 1, 2012 at 15:20 #

Would love to go on the 4th because idyllic childhood memories fascinates me.

8. Ame May 2, 2012 at 16:01 #

I don’t have the budget to include this in my leisurely activities, but it has always been a desire of mine to hear stories of the story tellers. What an amazing opportunity it would be, and WHAT FUN IT WOULD BE, TOO! Would LOVE tickets!!!

9. Christina L. May 3, 2012 at 15:56 #

All of the stories sound very interesting. I would especially like to hear Lynne Duddy’s story, having also grown up in Portland. I wasn’t around for the 60’s and 70’s and would like to hear about what it was like.

10. Lisa May 3, 2012 at 17:51 #

This would be really neat to see…I can go Friday night.