We are giving away tickets for you and four friends to attend ANDAZ with DJ Anjali and The Incredible Kid on Saturday, September 1, 2012 at Rotture. To win, comment on this post why you’d like to attend. Winner will be drawn and emailed Friday, August 31.

FREE PORTLAND: We give out 100s of $$$ in free tickets every week including to many of the top events in Portland. Join our email list if you like free stuff

——————

From our sponsors at ANDAZ:
Andaz w/ DJ Anjali & The Incredible Kid @ RottureANDAZ w/ DJ Anjali & The Incredible Kid
Saturday, September 1, 2012
9 p.m. | $7, $3 before 10 p.m. | 21+
More Info: www.anjaliandthekid.com

Rotture
315 SE Third Avenue

DJ Anjali and The Incredible Kid just celebrated ten years of the longest-running Desi party West of the Hudson river. The excitement continues in the first parties of their eleventh year!

ANDAZ is such a Portland institution it is mentioned in the travel guides Best Places Portland 8th Edition and the Moon Handbook Portland; fitting recognition for a monthly dance party now in its eleventh year!

Anjali and The Incredible Kid first introduced Portland dance floors to the sounds of Bollywood and Bhangra in 2000, but it was not until July of 2002 that they founded a party dedicated exclusively to featuring the sounds of the desi diaspora. ANDAZ was an instant success and many thought the success was a fad. The party started as the Truth Hurts song “Addictive,” featuring a prominent sample of the Bollywood song “Thoda Resham Lagta Hai,” was making its way up the charts to a peak of #9. This was one year before a Jay-Z remix of Panjabi MC’s Bhangra track “Mundian To Bach Ke” reached the US Top 40.

This was five years before MIA covered the Bollywood song “Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Aaja,” and made use of South Indian soundtrack percussion players to create the dense rhythms of several of the tracks on her Kala album. This was seven years before Slumdog Millionaire won 8 Academy Awards and grossed $140 million dollars at the North American box office, with a soundtrack by the Bollywood composer A.R Rahman that one two Oscars, reached #4 on the U.S. Billboard 200, and topped the Billboard Top Electronic Albums twice, once knocking Lady Gaga out of the top spot after a twelve-week run. This was eight years before Bollywood movies were released in mainstream theaters throughout the Portland metro area, including such unlikely places as the Century Clackamas Town Center.

, , , , , , , , , ,

18 Responses to Win Tickets ($35): ANDAZ w/ DJ Anjali & The Incredible Kid @ Rotture | Bhangra/Bollywood Dance Party

1. Carol Wolff August 27, 2012 at 11:46 #

Please pick my entry. My daughter and her partner Deb and my 21 year old son who is moving away to Canada would go with me. It is like a last shot reunion. I can’t think of a better more memorable experience.

We all love Andaz

2. Nick Mattos August 27, 2012 at 12:08 #

I want to win because I’ve been practicing my lightbulb-turning hand dance for months and I need a good place to demonstrate my mad Bollywood skills.

3. Alan Silver August 27, 2012 at 12:09 #

Aw, Carol’s entry trumps mine. I would love the tickets, but I would love it better if Carol won. Whatever happens, it’s going to be an awesome party!

4. Ameyalli Venegas August 27, 2012 at 12:12 #

I would love to attend because DJ Anjali and the Incredible Kid always put a smile on my face and I’ve been so broke lately, I could sure use a smile and some good music to cure my heart aches :)

5. Parag August 27, 2012 at 12:22 #

It’s gonna be a fun night! Hope I can make it with so much going on this long weekend!

6. mintu singh August 27, 2012 at 12:40 #

It’s always fun to be there with new music and doing bangra. Your music alart better than parshant music.And my birthday is this coming weekend and I am coming with 14 my others friends. I think some free ticket will be nice present from you haha.

7. Guillermo Arqueros August 27, 2012 at 13:27 #

Cause I gotta dance or I’ll die. X_x

8. Subhan Michael August 27, 2012 at 13:39 #

I want to go because Andaz is the hottest dance party in town

9. Sandeep Bali August 27, 2012 at 17:34 #

I would love to come to this event and treat my friends to a fun evening. Ive never been and I want to get dressed up and dance dance dance! My brother and I are indian and our significant others are white. Momma always said once you go white you know its right…I want to introduce them to our rich culture. Thats it :)

10. Yuraima Figueroa August 27, 2012 at 18:26 #

ANDAZ is one of the BEST dance parties in Portland!!!… Great mixes and awesome music!!!

11. Valerie August 28, 2012 at 09:26 #

I’ll be coming a really far away. I would love to go!!

12. Tiffany August 28, 2012 at 12:52 #

Saw DJ Anjali and The Incredible Kid at Beloved and was blown away, would love to see them in my hometown and be a part of that amazing energy again!

13. Larry Smith August 28, 2012 at 17:22 #

Love your KBOO show.

14. Jon August 30, 2012 at 14:29 #

Cuz I luvz me some Bhangra, and though my 4.5 year old child will not be able to attend, whenever he’s in the mood to dance he tells me to turn on the Pandora Bhangra channel. How cute is that? How can you not give me tix?

15. Brittany August 30, 2012 at 14:37 #

Because I love Bollywood music and I want to dance Bhangra all night!!!! I want tix so bad ;)

16. JV August 31, 2012 at 10:57 #

yes – let the winning begin(ning)!

17. kate August 31, 2012 at 15:49 #

looks awesomely fun!!!

18. Becky Baboom September 1, 2012 at 15:03 #

Ok, We coming and bring a whole crew!!! Please let us in cuz you know I LOVE you guys and will bring everyone I can:-) Peace out!