Portland Swift Watch photo by heathre
Get those instagram filters ready! The 2012 Chapman Swifts Watch starts this Labor Day Weekend in NW Portland. Crowds gather one hour before sunset every night in September to watch thousands of Vaux’s Swifts gather in the city as they prepare to migrate to Central America and Venezuela! Below are more pictures and a video trailer for “On The Wing”, a documentary film on the Chapman Swifts.
Related Portland Events and Info:
- Events: Our September Events Calendar & Ticket Giveaways
- Win Tickets: Portland Men’s Roller Derby Season 1 Championships | Bone Daddies vs Holy Roll’n Empire (Sept 1)
- Labor Day Weekend: Oregon Labor Day Annual Dahlia Festival | FREE, All Ages, Food, Flowers, Refreshments
- Labor Day Weekend Tips: Portland & Oregon Labor Day Weekend Tips | In & Outside Of PDX (from 2011)
Chapman Vaux’s Swifts Pictures, Video, History, & Watch Info:
Vaux’s Swift Watch
September 1-30, 2012 | 6-8PM
1445 NW 26th Ave. | Portland, OR 97210
971-222-6119 | More info: audubonportland.org/local-birding/swiftwatch
Swift Watch 2012
What: Watch Vaux’s Swifts prepare to roost for the night
When: One hour before sunset, each night in September
Where: Chapman Elementary School in northwest Portland
We expect Vaux’s Swifts to use the Chapman chimney as an evening roost during their fall migration. Join us on the school lawn and in neighboring Wallace Park to observe the birds gathering overhead. On most evenings, Audubon volunteers will be on hand to share information about Vaux’s Swifts.
Every year in late August, one of Portland’s most spectacular natural events begins: Thousands of Vaux’s Swifts gather in the city as they prepare to migrate to Central America and Venezuela.
Migrating swifts often use chimneys as roosts (places to sleep), and they are likely to return to the same roost year after year. One swift population has been returning to the Chapman chimney since the 1980s, and it is one of the largest known roosting sites of migrating Vaux’s Swifts. More history here: audubonportland.org/wcc/urban/vauxsswift
We Need Your Help!
Please be a good neighbor to Chapman-area residents during Swift Watch:
1) Parking is limited, so use other transit options when possible. 2) During the event, leash and pick up after dogs, and keep an eye on your kids. 3) After the event, pick up your trash and do not loiter on school grounds. 4) It is illegal to consume alcoholic beverages or smoke on public school grounds.
A big thank-you to our Wild Arts Festival sponsors, whose support makes events like Swift Watch possible.
Our new Portland Events App for PDX Pipeline is now available for iPhones, Android phones and iPads!
Now, you can have all of the great Portland Events from our website in the palm of your hand when you’re out on the town. We have also added live happy hours, concert schedules and movies times to help you plan a fun night out in Portland!
Download the App for iPhone here
Download the App for Android here
Chapman Swifts Pictures
Photo by Dan Viens
Photo by Dan Viens
Photo by The Debrarian
Photo by Nora Zimmerly
Photo by K. Kendall
On The Wing trailer
Video/Film by Dan Viens
Description: On The Wing is a documentary film that tells the story of Portland’s Chapman Swifts. This trailer gives you a peek at the phenomenon and its cult following. More information at swiftsmovie.com