There are sure to be thousands of people roaming NW Portland. There are over 50 (probably 100) galleries having openings this month, with most openings taking place in the Pearl district and Old Town/China Town. Most gallery openings begin at 5PM or 6PM and end at 9PM or 10PM.
We have a very large list below thanks to Sequential Art Gallery (328 NW Broadway). They compile an email called the “[h]IT LIST” of events every month. You can join it by emailing them @ sequentialart @ gmail dot com. We have reproduced much of it below with permission.
FREE PORTLAND: We give out 100s of $$$ in free tickets every week including to many of the top music and art venues in Portland. Join our email list if you like free stuff
Related Portland Events & Info:
- Events: Our Portland October Events Calendar & Ticket Giveaways
- Art: 2nd Annual Rock Paper First Thursday Show @ PCPA | FREE, All Ages, Portland-Based Music Poster Artists
- Music: Glen Hansard @ Crystal Ballroom | Academy Award-Winning Songwriter of ‘Once’ (Oct 4)
- Comedy: Arj Barker @ Helium Comedy Club | Flight of the Conchords, Last Comic Standing Semi-Finalist (Oct 4-6)
- More Music: Natalie Merchant w/ Oregon Symphony | Internationally Acclaimed Singer-Songwriter (Oct 4)
This Month at Sequential Art Gallery
“Rag Doll Blues: Parts and Pieces”
by John C. Worsley III
Opening Thursday, October 4, 2012 @ 6- 10 p.m.
All Ages | FREE
328 Northwest Broadway Portland, OR 97209
(503) 916-9293 | More Info: www.sequentialartgallery.com
Sequential Art Gallery welcomes back digital painter John C. Worsley, and his latest exhibit, “Rag Doll Blues: Parts and Pieces”. The exhibit is a sequential narrative based on the deconstructed final art for “Rag Doll Blues”, the newest album by Portland band Dead When I Found Her. The exhibit opens on First Thursday, October 4th, with an artist’s reception from 6pm-10pm.
As Worsley explains, “A digital painting can be comprised of dozens of layers.” Worsley has rearranged the art for the album into traditional comic book panels and added DWIFH lyrics as text. “For this series, the panels consist of visible and invisible layers alike taken from the original work and pushed out past the bounds of the finished frame.” Worsley likens the finished result unto a fevered dream rather than a traditional comic.
“Rag Doll Blues: Parts and Pieces” will close on Saturday, October 27th, at 5pm.
Old Town Chinatown First Thursday Events
- LAN SU CHINESE GARDENS [NW 3rd & Everett] – Open 6-8pm — FREE ADMISSION — Featuring “The Essence of Tea” and traditional Chinese brush paintings from Zhao Han Xing, artist in attendance.
- OREGON NIKKEI LEGACY CENTER [121 NW 2nd] – Open 4-7pm — FREE ADMISSION — “Shadows of Minidoka” by Roger Shimomura
- FIFTY24PDX/ UPPER PLAYGROUND [ 23 NW 5th] – Open First Thursday
- FLOATING WORLD [400 NW Couch] – “Prophet” art exhibit and book release party with Farel Dalrymple
- BUTTERS [520 NW Davis] – “Other People’s Secrets” by Dorothy Goode; “Full Circle” by Andrea Schwatz
- HELLION [19 NW 5th] – work by Christopher Konecki and Keegan Onefoot.
- GRAETER GALLERY [131 NW 2nd] – One-Year Anniversary Celebration , feat. art by William Chad Willsie(see above)
- GRASS HUT [400 NW Couch] – New works by Healey
- BACKSPACE [115 NW 5th] – Open First Thursday
- COMPOUND [107 NW 5th Ave] – “”Annoyed Grunt” by Mr. Kiji
- TRIM/VOJDANI GALLERY at P:EAR [338 NW 6th Ave] – work by Josiane Keller and p:ear youth
- 24HR CHURCH OF ELVIS [408 NW Couch] – Open 24/7
Northwest Portland First Thursday Events
- CHAMBERS [916 NW Flanders]: “Arc Volant”, installation by Wid Chambers
- LAURA RUSSO [805 NW 21st]: New work by Francis Celentano and René Rickabaugh
- AUGEN NW [716 NW Davis ]: New work by George Johanson and Naomi Shigeta
- GALLERY 114 [1100 NW Glisan]: “Making Sense” by Mary Jo Mann w/Mark Twain Stevenson and Sara Ybarra Lopez
- THE SPACE/ILLIAN RABE LLC [1030 NW 12th Ave]: Open First Thursday
- BLUE SKY [122 NW 8th Ave]:Photography by Geoffrey H. Short and Photographer Hal
- BLACKFISH [420 NW 9th Ave]: “Not All Black and White”by Ellen Goldschmidt; Recent Paintings by Mario Caoile
- MUSEUM of CONTEMPORARY CRAFT [724 NW Davis]: – “Reflecting on Erik Gronborg” and “Design with the Other 90%: CITIES”
- BULLSEYE [300 NW 13th Ave]: “Six Impossible Things” by Heike Brachlow: “GlassFab” Collaborations in Glass
- ELIZABETH LEACH [417 NW 9th Ave]: “Best Wishes” by MK Guth; “In Valley” by Stephen Hayes
- FROELICK [714 NW Davis]:”All and Nothing” by Victor Maldonado; “Entity” by Leiv Fagereng
- PDX CONTEMPORARY [925 NW Flanders]: “Skywalker/Skyscraper” by Marie Watt; Face Each Day by Jason Sturgill
- GALLERY 135 [135 NW Park]: “YES, YOU. YES” by Therese Murdza”
- DEEP FIELD GALLERY [1126 NW 13th]: “Imagine”, paintings by Linden
- GIGANTIC [1720 NW Lovejoy #103]: “Love of Monsters” by Jason Edward Davis.
Southwest Portland First Thursday Events
- READING FRENZY [921 SW Oak] – C is for Crap, an alphabet print show by Sean Tejaratchi, editor of Crap Hound
- PORTLAND ART MUSEUM [1219 SW Park]: – Current exhibits: include the interactive installation, “Object Stories”
- STUMPTOWN DOWNTOWN [128 SW 3rd]: – “The Good Rain” photography group show
- SHAFFER FINE ART [308 SW 1sr Ave]: work by Thomas Arvid
- ELROY ARTSPACE @ The ORIGINAL [300 SW 6th Ave]: – “Tastes Like Chikin: a POP Art Expression of Food Malfeasance” by Mark Randall
- GALLERY SESSO [824 SW 1st Ave] – Open First Thursday
- PCPA [1111 SW Broadway] – “2nd Annual RockPaperPdx” (see above)
- ATRIUM [115 SW Ash] – “The Other Side” by J. Slattum. (see above)
Everett Station Lofts First Thursday Events
- 101. [VACANT]
- 102. SOHITEK GALLERY – Open First Thursday
- 103. RIGHT SIDE ART – Open First Thursday
- 104. ORIENTATION – Open First Thursday
- 105. PONY CLUB GALLERY – Open First Thursday
- 106. COCK GALLERY – Open First Thursday
- 107. FOTOEFFECT GALLERY – Open First Thursday
- 108. [VACANT]
- 109. B*ORIGINAL ARTGLASS – Open First Thursday
- 110. DARRAS – Open First Thursday
- 111. ALKALINE- Open First Thursday
- 113. SEQUENTIAL ART GALLERY – “Rag Doll Blues: Parts and Pieces” by John C. Worsley III (see above)
- 114. TIMESHARE – “Orchestrated City Lights” by Kelsey Haggblom & John Bartolomeo; and new illustrations by Glenn Liddell; live music by The Bevelers
- 115. ABSTRACT IDEA MOTION – Open First Thursday
- 116. TYSON GALLERY- Open First Thursday
- 117. PAINT HARD- Open First Thursday
- BREEZE BLOCK GALLERY [323 NW 6th Ave] – “Each Story In This Story Has a Story” by Mark Warren Jacques
Our Portland Events App for PDX Pipeline is now available for iPhones, Android phones and iPads!
Now, you can have all of the great Portland Events from our website in the palm of your hand when you’re out on the town. We have also added live happy hours, concert schedules and movies times to help you plan a fun night out in Portland!
Download the App for iPhone here
Download the App for Android here