There are sure to be thousands of people roaming NW Portland. There are over 50 (probably 100) galleries having openings this month, with most openings taking place in the Pearl district and Old Town/China Town. Most gallery openings begin at 5PM or 6PM and end at 9PM or 10PM.
We have a very large list below thanks to Sequential Art Gallery (328 NW Broadway). They compile an email called the “[h]IT LIST” of events every month. You can join it by emailing them @ sequentialart @ gmail dot com. We have reproduced much of it below with permission.
FREE PORTLAND: We give out 100s of $$$ in free tickets every week including to many of the top music and art venues in Portland. Join our email list if you like free stuff
Related Portland Events & Info:
- Events: Our Portland November Events Calendar & Ticket Giveaways
- BUY Portland ART: Limited Edition Portland Neighborhood Paintings By Chris Haberman | “Hoods & Pockets”
- Stories: Mortified Portland 5 Year Anniversary @ Mission Theater | True Stories of Teen Angst (November 1 & 2)
- Dia de los Muertos: Day of the Dead @ Holocene | Music, Procession, Aztec Dancers, Theatre (Win Tickets)
- Art: New Brow 3 Art Opening @ Portland Center for the Performing Arts | FREE, All Ages, 50+ Artists
- Comedy: JB Smoove @ Helium Comedy Club | Curb Your Enthusiasm, Everybody Hates Chris, The Chris Rock Show
- Music: Eat Off Your Banjo @ East Burn | FREE Live Bluegrass at 8 p.m., Food Specials (more info)
- More Music: First Thursday Phunktion w/ Philly’s Phunkestra & The Hunters @ The Goodfoot | Soul, Funk, Rhythm
- Photo: First Thursday @ PNCA, November 2011
This Month at Sequential Art Gallery
“LITTLE NOTEBOOKS of the DAMNED”
by Greg Tozian
Opening Thursday, November 1, 2012 @ 6- 10 p.m.
All Ages | FREE
328 Northwest Broadway Portland, OR 97209
(503) 916-9293 | More Info: www.sequentialartgallery.com
SequentialArtGallery presents Gregory Tozian’s “Little Notebooks of the Damned”, a collection of paper and canvas giclée prints reproducing imagery from Tozian’s travel notebooks. “Little Notebooks…” opens this Thursday, November 1st, with an artist’s reception from 6pm to 10pm.
During his extremely limited free time, Tozian spent a year channeling his imagination into pen-and-ink illustrations in various travel notebooks – “thousand-yard-stare association”, he calls it – while taking brief respites in assorted dives, drinking bourbon or coffee. A practice he took up initially he says, “Because it was cheaper than psychiatric help.”
The original two-page illustrations were created in Japanese notebooks, with an old German-made fountain pen, and “ink from the oldest purveyor in the world (from Paris, of course).” The show consists of giclée reproductions of the two-page spreads – complete with the dividing center line – on both canvas and high quality paper.
“Little Notebooks of the Damned” will be on display throughout the month of November.
Everett Station Lofts (625 NW Everett & 328 NW Broadway):
- 101. [VACANT]
- 102. SOHITEK GALLERY – “Spoils”; Photography by Madeleine Pope and Erica Christensen
- 103. RIGHT SIDE ART – Open First Thursday
- 104. ORIENTATION – Open First Thursday
- 105. PONY CLUB GALLERY – “Haunted”: group show visualizing Anxiety.
- 106. COCK GALLERY – Open First Thursday
- 107. FOTOEFFECT GALLERY – “Cash & Carry: 2012, the First Billion Dollar Election”
- 108. [VACANT]
- 109. B*ORIGINAL ARTGLASS – Open First Thursday
- 110. DARRAS – Open First Thursday
- 111. FLEETING STATES – *NEW GALLERY* — ANOVA Photography & Silkscreened Prints, by Marcus Adams
- 113. SEQUENTIAL ART GALLERY – “Little Notebooks of the Damned” by Gregory Tozian (see above)
- 114. TIMESHARE – “Orchestrated City Lights” by Kelsey Haggblom & John Bartolomeo; and new illustrations by Glenn Liddell; live music by The Bevelers
- 115. ABSTRACT IDEA MOTION – Open First Thursday
- 116. TYSON GALLERY – Open First Thursday
- 117. PAINT HARD– Open First Thursday
- BREEZE BLOCK GALLERY [323 NW 6th Ave] – “In The Flower Months” by Emily Katz
Old Town Chinatown First Thursday Events:
- LAN SU CHINESE GARDENS [NW 3rd & Everett] – Winter hours 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- OREGON NIKKEI LEGACY CENTER [121 NW 2nd] – Open 11am-3pm –Oregon Nikkei: Reflections of an American Community
- FIFTY24PDX/ UPPER PLAYGROUND [ 23 NW 5th] – Open First Thursday
- FLOATING WORLD [400 NW Couch] “The Understanding Monster” book release and art exhibit with Theo Ellsworth
- BUTTERS [520 NW Davis] -paintings by Terence La Noue; glasswork by Alessandro Casson
- HELLION [19 NW 5th] – “Impossible Worlds” by Josh Clay
- GRAETER GALLERY [131 NW 2nd] – “Recovery”: Photography by Nile Hagen
- GRASS HUT [400 NW Couch] – “Creeping Nomadic” by Mike Suffin & Koji Harmon
- BACKSPACE [115 NW 5th] – Open First Thursday
- COMPOUND [107 NW 5th Ave] – “The Day We Saw The Sun Come Up” by Timothy Karpinski & Brooke Weeber
- TRIM/VOJDANI GALLERY at P:EAR [338 NW 6th Ave] – “Meaning in Motion.”; art by local artists with history of homelessness.
- 24HR CHURCH OF ELVIS [408 NW Couch] – Open 24/7
Northwest Portland First Thursday Events
- CHAMBERS [916 NW Flanders]: “Connecting…” a group show
- LAURA RUSSO [805 NW 21st]: “Looking Back “- New Paintings by Sherrie Wolf; “Expedition and Freedom Walls II” – New Work by Sherrie Wolf
- AUGEN NW [716 NW Davis ]: “Myth and Metaphor: a Print Retrospective” by Thomas Wood; Newly acquired prints by Bearden, Calder, Close, DeForest, Dine, Ernest, Gottlieb, Le Corbusier, Lichenstein, Longo, Miro, Motherwell, Murakami, Warhol, Weiner, Wool
- GALLERY 114 [1100 NW Glisan]: “Finding Grace: A Pathology of Beauty.” by Khanh N. Huynh, MD
- THE SPACE/JILLIAN RABE LLC [1030 NW 12th Ave]: Open First Thursday
- BLUE SKY [122 NW 8th Ave]:Photography by Rania Matar and Justyna Badach
- BLACKFISH [420 NW 9th Ave]: work by Carol Benson, Michael Knutson, and Mandy Stigan
- MUSEUM of CONTEMPORARY CRAFT [724 NW Davis]: – “Reflecting on Erik Gronborg” and “Design with the Other 90%: CITIES”
- BULLSEYE [300 NW 13th Ave]: “Conversations: Architectural Responses to Place” by Richard Parrish & Karlyn Sutherland: “GlassFab” Collaborations in Glass
- ELIZABETH LEACH [417 NW 9th Ave]: “Best Wishes” by MK Guth; “Vestibules and Portals, Laminates and Veneers” by Mark R. Smith
- FROELICK [714 NW Davis]:”Repose” by Kevin Kadar; “La Vue à travers” by Stephen O’Donnell; “Breaking the Mold” by Ronna Neuenschwander
- PDX CONTEMPORARY [925 NW Flanders]: “ From Ash and Pearl ” by From Ash and Pearl; “Still Life with Unfolding Rock” by Johanna Barron
- GALLERY 135 [135 NW Park]:- Open First Thursday
- DEEP FIELD GALLERY [1126 NW 13th]: – Open First Thursday
- GIGANTIC [1720 NW Lovejoy #103]: “No Bones for Halftones” screen print art by Jugtown Vinyl (bring a shirt or bag to have printed on!)
Southwest Portland First Thursday Events
- READING FRENZY[921 SW Oak] – “Winter is Coming”; A Game of Thrones Fan Art Show Curated by Chloe Eudaly
- PORTLAND ART MUSEUM [1219 SW Park]: – Current exhibits: include Van Gogh’s The White House Among the Olives
- STUMPTOWN DOWNTOWN [128 SW 3rd]: – Open First Thursday
- SHAFFER FINE ART [308 SW 1sr Ave]: paintings by Phillip Anthony; Glasswork by Tim Chilina. Artists in attendance.
- ELROY ARTSPACE @ The ORIGINAL [300 SW 6th Ave]: – Open First Thursday
- GALLERY SESSO [824 SW 1st Ave] – Open First Thursday
- PCPA [1111 SW Broadway] – “New Brow” , non-traditional work of 50 local artists
- ATRIUM [115 SW Ash] – Open First Thursday
Our Portland Events App for PDX Pipeline is now available for iPhones, Android phones and iPads!
Now, you can have all of the great Portland Events from our website in the palm of your hand when you’re out on the town. We have also added live happy hours, concert schedules and movies times to help you plan a fun night out in Portland!
Download the App for iPhone here
Download the App for Android here