We are giving away a pair of tickets to see Mark Kozelek of Sun Kill Moon on Saturday, Februayr 9, 2013 at Aladdin Theater. To win, comment on this post why you’d like to attend. Winner will be drawn and emailed Monday, February 4.

FREE PORTLAND: We give out 100s of $$$ in free tickets every week including to many of the top music and art venues in Portland. Join our email list if you like free stuff

From our sponsors at Aladdin Theater:
Mark Kozelek @ Aladdin TheaterMark Kozelek of Sun Kil Moon & Red House Painters
Saturday, February 9, 2013
7 p.m. doors | 8 p.m. show
$17 | Minors permitted with parent or guardian 21+
Purchase Tickets at www.aladdin-theater.com

Aladdin Theater
3017 SE Milwaukie Ave Portland, OR 97202
(503) 234-9694 | More Info: www.aladdin-theater.com

Mark Kozelek was born and raised in Massillon, Ohio. Upon relocating to Atlanta, Georgia, he met drummer Anthony Koutsos. After the pair moved once again to San Francisco, California, Red House Painters formed with the addition of guitarist Gorden Mack and bassist Jerry Vessel. From 1992 to 1996, Red House Painters released a series of acclaimed albums, showcasing Kozelek’s intense, highly autobiographical songs.

However, Kozelek’s parting with the record label 4AD, followed by a major label merger which left Red House Painters’ 1998 album Old Ramon on the shelf, proved highly frustrating and stifled the group’s momentum. Kozelek opted to occupy himself with a series of idiosyncratic solo recordings as Red House Painters dissolved.

In 2000, he released the solo EP Rock ‘n’ Roll Singer, which featured three original songs as well as covers of John Denver’s “Around and Around” and three AC/DC songs (“Rock ‘n’ Roll Singer,” “Bad Boy Boogie,” and “You Ain’t Got a Hold on Me”). Two of the AC/DC cover versions on Rock ‘n’ Roll Singer were radical re-arrangements of the originals which removed the Bon Scott-penned lyrics from their hard rock context and placed them into gentle, acoustic “folk ballad” settings.

, , , , , , , ,

20 Responses to Win Tickets ($30+): Mark Kozelek of Sun Kil Moon @ Aladdin Theater | Gentle, Acoustic Folk Ballads

1. Nick Garner January 30, 2013 at 17:20 #

I’d love to see Mark Kozelek. I’m taking the LSAT that day and it would be an amazing way to unwind afterwards. Also, I’m a poor college student and I can’t afford to buy tickets for myself.

2. Rick January 30, 2013 at 17:42 #

“San Geronimo” by the Red House Painters…. still one of my all time favorites. That and “Summer Dress”. Have never seen Mark live. Now’s my chance.

3. Steve H. January 30, 2013 at 18:52 #

Please prove to me its possibe to win something on the pipeline and choose me to win tickets to this show. I have entered many times and I have yet to win. So I am due!

4. Amy January 30, 2013 at 19:16 #

I would love to go!!

5. Miya Abbott January 31, 2013 at 12:02 #

Oh, Mark Kozelek. Love him.

6. Megan January 31, 2013 at 21:37 #

I love the album and the ep of AC/DC covers. “What’s Next to the Moon” becomes this beautiful love song, even though it’s still about some weird domestic violence. Once I heard the real version in a bar and before I realized how I recognized the song, thought it was a terrible cover version of a song I liked.

I also love the John Denver tribute album he did. And the cover of “Around and Around” with Rachel Goswell, just beautiful.

Speaking of, I did see Mojave 3 at the Aladdin, but Rachel Goswell wasn’t there. Maybe she’ll show up with Kozelek? A girl can dream.

7. panda January 31, 2013 at 21:43 #

the song mistress or grace cathedral park

8. Jen January 31, 2013 at 22:34 #

Romantic date night needed for this workin’ mom. I can’t think of a better way that I would like to spend a night out. Dang, I’d love to see Mark Kozelek. His music reminds me of hot summer nights in Athens, GA. Maybe he will have his children’s album for sale at his merchandise table!

9. Andie February 1, 2013 at 02:58 #

His music touches my soul. I loved him the last time I saw him and would love to share his live music with my audiophile partner. 2012 was a terrible year for me and thus far 2013 is off to much different tune. Seeing Mark Kozalek for free would show me that it change is indeed possible. Thank you for your consideration.

10. GAIL February 1, 2013 at 08:14 #

Ohhhh he is so handsome, I would love to see him in person!

11. Scotty February 1, 2013 at 15:49 #

Love me some good ol folk music.

12. Lindsey February 1, 2013 at 16:34 #

This is one of my favorite types of music, and god dammit, I deserve good things!

13. Jennifer J. February 1, 2013 at 17:22 #

My wonderful, adventurous 74 yr. old mom is coming to visit me from Michigan and I would love to take her to the show. She is recently a widow and needs a good dose of soothing tunes to get her smile back.

14. Eric February 1, 2013 at 21:59 #

Mark is absolutely amazing, and whom ever is chosen by PIpeline to attend is in for a treat… fingers crossed its me!

15. Bryan February 1, 2013 at 22:17 #

My wife won’t leave me alone until I come up with a great story to win these tickets.

I think it would be a “great romantic date night and can’t think of better way to spend a night out.”

16. Julia February 4, 2013 at 08:51 #

So I could simply make up some tragic story of how my dog died, my feet aren’t the same size, and I only have one good eye that wants to see this show. I’m not going to leave a desperate reply though, because I’m not. I’m trying to live an honest life like we all are and I don’t need to start spitting lies here in this little typing box.

I’m writing this for my sister. Who is a hard worker, and a brand new mother of a beautiful boy. She deserves a break. I don’t care about the tickets but I know that it would be a ” Great romantic date night” for her & her husband.

17. Roya February 4, 2013 at 13:40 #

I would love to see him in concert!

18. Jeremiah February 7, 2013 at 10:34 #

My lady is pregnant, can’t handle a wild show, don’t have money for tickets right now, but she loves folk.

19. Mario February 7, 2013 at 12:07 #

This would be a great surprise for a friend coming to visit!

20. Erica February 7, 2013 at 16:10 #

My daughter turned me on to this band because of the MM covers, now I’d like to return the favor and take her to the show!