We are giving away a pair of weekend passes to 2014 Portland Bridgetown Comedy Festival on May 8-11. To win, comment on this post why you’d like to attend. Winner will be drawn and emailed Monday, May 5.
FREE PORTLAND: We give out 100s of $$$ in free tickets every week including to many of the top music and art venues in Portland. Join our newsletter if you like free stuff!
From our partners at Bridgetown:
2014 Bridgetown Comedy Festival
May 8-11, 2014
Weekend passes are $99
Tickets & Full Schedule of Events at www.bridgetowncomedy.com
The seventh annual Bridgetown Comedy Festival will be held May 8–11 at venues throughout Southeast Portland. Four-day passes are now on sale for $99; a complete festival schedule, with single- ticket door prices for individual shows ($5-30), is forthcoming. A roster of performers and special shows is now available at www.bridgetowncomedy.com.
New additions to the 2014 festival programming have just been announced.
- For the first time, more than 100 of our 200 performers are making their Bridgetown debut, representing the best new talent from throughout the United States and Canada.
- Just added to the lineup: Comedy Central star and Twitter prankster Nathan Fielder (“Nathan for You”), alt-comedy favorite and master impressionist James Adomian, and comedy legend Emo Philips.
- Two shows titled Baron Vaughn Presents: The New Negroes, in reference to the Harlem Renaissance movement by the same name, showcase the best young black comedians in the nation.
- The Show That Dare Not Speak Its Name, curated by James Adomian, showcases the best young LGBT comedians in the nation.
- Headliner Reggie Watts, the ingenious performer who blends improvised music with comedy and serves as the one-man “house band” on IFC’s Comedy Bang! Bang!, will perform on multiple shows throughout the four-day weekend.
- Paul F. Tompkins will bring book-smart comedy in the form of The Dead Authors Podcast, a live show featuring hilarious impressions of literary icons.
- Comedian W. Kamau Bell will bring his blend of social commentary and hilarity to several shows throughout the weekend, in addition to stand-ups who were staff writers on Totally Biased: Hari Kondabolu, Eliza Skinner, Aparna Nancherla, and Janine Brito.
- A special showcase, Voodoo Doughnut Recordings Presents Ian and Nathan and Friends, will celebrate the release of a 7-inch record featuring sets from Portland-bred favorites Ian Karmel and Nathan Brannon.
- Anchoring the festival will be two venues at the Doug Fir Lounge, the Squarespace Stage indoors and the Jupiter Tent outdoors.
This year, Dan Harmon (creator of Community and co-creator of The Sarah Silverman Program and Rick and Morty) and his co-host Jeff Davis (Whose Line Is It Anyway?) bring their wildly popular live show Harmontown to Bridgetown, complete with its ongoing game of Dungeons & Dragons. Kumail Nanjiani (Portlandia, stand-up special Beta Male) and Jonah Ray (the Nerdist podcast) give Portland a sneak peek of their live show The Meltdown with Jonah and Kumail just prior to it being broadcast as a weekly Comedy Central series.
Portland comedy staples Shane Torres, Amy Miller, Kristine Levine, Alex Falcone, Sean Jordan, Barbara Holm, Nathan Brannon, and dozens of others will represent the Northwest’s top talent. Also of note is that Australian stand-up sensation Wil Anderson will descend upon Portland for the first time.
Bridgetown’s 2014 lineup features native Portlanders who have gone on to rule the comedy world and shape nationally televised comedy series. These include Matt Braunger (The Michael J. Fox Show, Maron, Up All Night, MADtv, Family Tree) and Ian Karmel (Chelsea Lately, CONAN).
The Bridgetown Comedy Fest is currently seeking volunteers for the 2014 festival—three shifts (12 hours over the course of the weekend) will get you a general admission wristband to the whole festival, normally $99 for a weekend pass.
To apply to volunteer, go here.
Festival venues include the Doug Fir, the Alhambra Theater, the Hawthorne Theater, the Bossanova Ballroom, and the White Owl Social Club, in addition to more informal performance spaces along Hawthorne Boulevard. With a single wristband, you can see dozens of shows over the course of one weekend. You can quickly hop from seeing a sold-out show in a theater to seeing a national headliner in an intimate setting on a bar’s back patio.
Get your 4-day passes here! With a rep for being “comedy summer camp,” we added a limited number of Bridgetown Fantasy Camp Passes that offer hotel accommodations, party access, and tons of perks. Experience Bridgetown 2014 like a performing comedian does by buying your pass here!
- Squarespace Stage at the Doug Fir
- Taxi Magic stage at Alhambra Theater
- MailChimp Stage at the White Owl Social Club
- Sizzle Pie Stage at the Eagles Lodge