We are giving away two pairs of tickets to Johnnyswim @ Aladdin Theater on May 30. To win, comment on this post why you’d like to attend. Winner will be drawn and emailed Friday, May 30.
FREE PORTLAND: We give out 100s of $$$ in free tickets every week including to many of the top music and art venues in Portland. Join our newsletter if you like free stuff!
From our sponsors:
May 30, 2014
7 p.m. Doors / 8 p.m. Show | $20 | Under 21 OK w/ guardian
3017 SE Milwaukie Ave, Portland, OR 97202
Diamonds, the debut LP from husband and wife team JOHNNYSWIM, is out now via Big Picnic Records. The music is receiving widespread critical acclaim:
- “Impossibly telegenic and charming, husband and wife Abner Ramirez and Amanda Sudano have the booming voices of great street buskers, but also the polished sparkle of natural-born stage performers.” —NPR
- “…a roaring good time…As lovely as they are talented…” —Entertainment Weekly
- “We fell in love with them musically, personally, everything.” —Billboard
- “Drawing from an eclectic range of influences and powerful personal chemistry, the two have created an infectious sound…” —Vogue
- “A band and married couple that live at the intersection of solid songwriting and good music from the heart.” —Jay Z’s Life + Times
Additionally, the duo were featured on NPR’s “All Things Considered” and played a NPR “Tiny Desk Concert”. They also recently performed their single “Home” on “The Late Show with David Letterman” and on Vh1’s “Big Morning Buzz Live”.
In addition, VH1 became very early supporters upon first hearing the music and were quick to select JOHNNYSWIM as their first-ever “You Oughta Know +” artist, hailing the twosome as “…tantalizing.” The duo received long-term video support for their song “Heart Beats” and participated in VH1’s Creative Music Integration initiative, where their music is placed into a selection of VH1 programs. JOHNNYSWIM also performed as part of “VH1’s You Oughta Know In Concert,” “The O Music Awards” and the “Do Something Awards.”
Amanda Sudano-Ramirez and Abner make up JOHNNYSWIM. Amanda was exposed to music at a young age with musicians as parents, while Abner studied music at Douglas Anderson School of the Arts in his native Jacksonville, Florida. The two met in 2006 and started collaborating musically after discovering their similar influences of folk, soul and rock. Since then, they’ve relocated to Los Angeles, released two critically lauded EPs and performed on “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno,” “The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson,” “Live from Daryl’s House” and “Today Show.” The duo has toured extensively including stops at SXSW, Spoleto Festival, Bonnaroo and a support slots for Emeli Sandé, Aloe Blacc and Feist.