- New Job Listings: Check out our newest Portland job listings here.
- Post A Job: Email info to email@example.com
- Jobs Newsletter: Sign up here to receive our weekly jobs newsletter.
- Facebook: Facebook.com/PortlandOregonJobs | Twitter: @PDXJobs
- iPhone/iPad & Android App: Get job listings on our app here.
Kitchen Assistant / Cook
The Armory Café and its staff are an important component of the theatergoing experience offered at Portland Center Stage. The Kitchen Assistant/Cook is responsible for working in the kitchen to prepare food served during performances and other events hosted at the Gerding Theater at the Armory. Candidates for this position must adhere to food service regulations as prescribed by the Multnomah County Health Department. The most qualified candidate will have a minimum two years kitchen experience and an elevated sense of ownership over kitchen responsibilities.
- Prepare all ingredients needed for service in the Armory Café according to instruction.
- Ensure that the quality, quantity, freshness and presentation of all food served meets the Kitchen Supervisor’s standards.
- Ensure that all food is adequately covered, labeled, dated and rotated.
- Track product and notify Kitchen Supervisor of ordering needs.
- Work to reduce waste.
- Work with the Kitchen Supervisor and Event & Rentals Manager to execute catered events.
- Assist with the production of prepared foods.
- Maintain a clean and orderly work space at all times.
- Guarantee that the kitchen is prepared to be used by outside caterers, whenever necessary.
- Additional duties as assigned by the Kitchen Supervisor.
Qualifications & Skills
- Food Handlers Permit in hand.
- Minimum one year experience working in food preparation required, two years experience preferred.
- Fundamental cooking techniques, including skill with a knife (speed, safety, consistency).
- Strong work ethic and adaptability.
- Self-motivated to identify problems and resolve them quickly.
- Ability to work with a sense of urgency and timeliness.
- Ability to follow instructions and procedures.
- Any combination of expo, event, catering, and/or brunch experience a plus.
- Talents extending to mis en place and plating a plus.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift a minimum 30 lbs.
- Ability to visually examine products for quality and freshness.
- Open availability preferred. Includes weekends, daytime, and early evening hours.
Salary & Benefits
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- This position is part-time, non-exempt.
- Complimentary tickets to Main Stage and Studio productions.
- Employee meal benefits.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Kitchen Assistant/PCS Website.”
Applying for this position?
Let them know you found it on PDX Pipeline!