- New Job Listings: Check out our newest Portland job listings here.
- Post A Job: Email info to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jobs Newsletter: Sign up here to receive our weekly jobs newsletter.
- Facebook: Facebook.com/PortlandOregonJobs | Twitter: @PDXJobs
- iPhone/iPad & Android App: Get job listings on our app here.
Social Media Internship
Posting Date: August 27, 2013
Closing Date: Open until filled
Contact: email@example.com | More info: fish-marketing.com
If you follow your favorite brands on FB & Twitter, can snap a decent smartphone photo, write in multiple voices and read Mashable, Fish Marketing has an exciting opportunity. We are seeking a Social Media intern for a new 9-month program.
Yeah, it’s a social media internship, but it’s not just about collecting likes or followers.
In this position you’ll see how social contributes to a client’s overall online marketing mix. From boosting search engine traffic to building relationships with bloggers, our social efforts will create value far beyond 140 character interactions and likes (though we’ll get those too). Join us, and build your social skills while learning how to measure and deliver digital value.
FIRST, ASK YOURSELF:
Do you know your Klout score? Wish you could Pin real-world items? Can you handle multiple Twitter accounts without pulling a Chrysler? Are you constantly practicing your iPhone-ography? Got a sweet collection of Foursquare badges? Can you match memes to their sub-Reddits of origin? You could definitely be Fish intern material. Read on!
- Proficiency in several social media management tools
- Understanding of the factors contributing to a successful social media brand presence
- Understanding how social media serves as a part of a larger inbound marketing mix -
and how it solves real-world business problems
- Ability to measure – qualitatively and quantitatively – the ROI of various social media
platforms and efforts
- Ability to promote a brand in with animated gifs, and impress with memes.
THE BIG PICTURE:
This internship is available only to students in their senior year of study. It is an educational experience, intended to provide an overview of how an advertising agency operates. The agency has an Internship Supervisor who is responsible for ensuring that the internship provides the opportunity for the student to experience a defined list of learning objects and activities*. The intern’s time will be split between regular office tasks that we assign each week and educational coursework requirements.
THE FINE PRINT:
The social media internship is a 9-month program, which will be split into three terms. Each term, the student can adjust his/her work schedule, as needed. Stipend and credit hours are given at the end of each term.
Interns may choose one of two options:
15-19 hours per week to earn 3 credit hours and a $750 stipend
20+ hours per week to earn 4 credit hours and a $1,000 stipend
The schedule is flexible but must be completed during our regular business hours, Monday-Friday, 8:30-5:30. The intern is responsible for keeping track of these hours and reporting to their internship sponsor at PSU.
To gain a solid understanding of what functions are performed in an advertising agency
To understand the working relationship between the various functions in an agency
To understand the working relationship that the agency has with its clients
To understand the working relationship the agency has with the advertising media and suppliers
To perform specific tasks in at least one area of interest that will significantly enhance the understanding of that function
Interview the agency CEO on issues such as agency history, philosophy, vision, areas of expertise, approach to new business, etc.
- Interview the Interactive Director and learn how to create integrated, digital campaigns
- Observe the development of web site and web advertising strategy
- Interview the SEM manager about the importance of SEO and PPC campaigns
- Contribute to social media campaigns
Assist in a wide range of social media marketing activities (everything from big-picture strategy to detailed tactics)
Assist in reporting results
Internship will also include other routine office tasks.
To apply, send an email letter of introduction with your resume attached to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or drop-ins please. We do our best to answer all job inquiries, as time permits. We apologize if we are unable to respond to your email.
Applying for this position?
Let them know you found it on PDX Pipeline!